Meet Karen.. behind the pink.

Thursday, February 3, 2011

I met Karen via email less than a week ago and i already feel like i know her well. Karen emailed me by starting how I hope you don't think Im crazy but.... And I didn't think she was crazy when i got done reading her email. She told me that she had breast cancer. She had done the chemo and radiation and other treatments and surgeries and in September had a double mastectomy. For those of you who don't know, this is where the breast is removed. It can have devastating effects on some women. They don't feel whole, they don't feel pretty and Karen told me that many women also have to face relationship problems because of it. Husbands leave, or won't touch their wives anymore. Inspired by a younger woman than herself with a young son who battled breast cancer, Karen felt that it was necessary to photographically document her cancer. She wanted people to see "behind the pink", what people rarely see. The pain and suffering and hurt and ugly behind all the pink ribbons and bows. I am happy to be a part in Karen's journey to complete recovery. In about 8 hours Karen will arrive at the hospital to get her boobies back! She will be having reconstructive surgery. So say a little prayer. I know that you will get to see more of Karen in the future. Are you battling breast cancer? Im sure Karen would love to answer any questions you have. Please email me and I will give her your information. Also if you feel compelled to donate because of Karen's story, contact me and I will point you in the direction of some fantastic organizations. Please share and comment. :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


2 comments:

Dawn said...

I think these are some of the most beautiful pictures I have ever seen. Thanks to you and Karen for sharing.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful, brave woman.

Post a Comment